Kenya is the undisputed home to the safari. ‘Safari’ is a Swahili word synonymous with an African holiday travel. Kenyan as a travel destination prides in panoramic Great Wildebeest Migration and iconic parks such as Amboseli and the Masai Mara and is probably the most diverse country in Africa in terms of habitat; from rolling savannah grasslands to mountain regions, rain forests and deserts. There are over 1,100 species of bird, 350 mammal species and 21 endemic species, making it a real nature lover’s paradise!(Swahili is widely used in East Africa as a lingua franca)
In Kenya you will also find the Great Rift Valley with its numerous Great soda lakes as well as composite volcanoes like Mt Longonot. Lake Nakuru and Bogoria are well known for their prolific bird life. The snow peaked Mt Kenya is the second highest in Africa and the beautiful coastline with blue waters, white sandy beaches and fantastic marine life is a-must-visit drawcard. Our coastal region is steeped in culture and history, where you will find historical sites such as the Gedi ruins and Fort Jesus in addition to the probably the best kept secrets of natural wonders such as Mida Creek and Hell’s Kitchen.
Activities include game drives, scenic views, cultural visits, birding, nature & bush walks, boat safaris, balloon flights, horse riding, white water rafting, hiking, mountain walks and mountain climbing (Mount Kenya minimum 3-day climb) and of course water sports such as snorkeling, diving and also dhow-sailing on the beautiful Swahili coastline.
Welcome to Kenya for an authentic and extremely charming ‘Out of Africa’-like experience!
Visa & Passport requirements
According to Siraam Tours An entry visa for Kenya is currently requirement for most visitors at a cost. Check the Kenyan immigration website for current requirements. The Kenyan government is in the process of introducing a new E-Visa that will replace the manual one usually processed on arrival at the airport. All guests are advised to obtain their visas online by logging on to evisa.go.ke to apply and obtain the electronic visa. Payment is by credit card. Once you have successfully applied, the visa shall be issued approximately five days after the day that you apply.
The visa will last for 90 days and will allow one re-entry from Uganda and Tanzania; you must have at least six months remaining on your passport and at least two blank facing pages.
Seasons & visiting times
- High:1st July to 31st October
- Mid:1st November to 31st March
- Low: 1st April to 30th June
- Our country is a good year-round destination.
- The Wildebeest migration passes through the Masai Mara between late June and the end of October
- January to March – hot & dry
- April to June – rainy season
- July to August – cool season
- September to December – hot with some rain possible in November
- Coastal area – hot, temperatures range from 20c to 35c with rains from April to June
Safari Packing Essentials
- Passport with visa entries
- Health cards (vaccination certificates)
- Airline tickets/E-tickets
- Cash and Travelers’ cheques
- Separate record of Travelers’ Cheque Numbers
- Credit cards (VISA, MasterCard and/ or American Express)
- Photocopies of passport/visas/ insurance papers (to be kept separately)
- Camera, video and binoculars
- Battery, extra battery and plenty of memory cards
- Chargers (camera and phones) and adaptor plug-ins
- Prescription glasses, hat et al
- Small torch(flashlight)
Clothing, Toiletries and Medicine
- short-sleeve or t-shirts
- long-sleeve shirts.
- cotton trousers or light pants
- jacket or fleece
- wide-brim hat with an under-chin tie (to stop it being blown off in open-top vehicles)
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Lightweight sandals or flip flops (for wearing around the camp)
- Swimwear (for camps and lodges with a pool)
- Cotton socks and underwear
- Buff or, scarf or bandana (good for dust)
- Prescription meds
- Sun Screen (SPF 15 or higher) or sunblock
- Insect repellant (containing DEET for mosquitoes)
- Feminine Hygiene Supplies
- Lip balm
- Malaria prophylaxis
- A pack of wet wipes and hand sanitizer
- Cash for tips (including driver and guide)